- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 can cream of celery condensed soup
- Chopped pimentos (for garnish)
- 1 16 oz pkg tater tots or tater tots with onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a shallow 2 qt baking dish.
- Brown onions, celery and beef over medium high heat. Spoon off any fat and add salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture in baking dish; pour undiluted soup over it. Stir in chopped pimentos if you like, for garnish.
- Top with a layer of tater tots. Bake for 45 mins or until bubbly.
Tom was pretty excited about this one. He LOVES tater tot casserole, but the one I normally make is a slightly different recipe than this. It has mixed veggies in it and cream of mushroom soup and then the whole thing is covered with cheese. So, I decided to shake things up a bit in the world of Tom!
“Yeah, I know. It’s for the blog. What do you think? What does it taste like?”
“American chop suey.”
“Really? Is it bad?”
“No, just strange.”
The Verdict: Okay
From The Tasting Notes –
Tastes like American Chop Suey, except with tater tots instead of chow mein noodles and rice. Salty (which was probably the fault of the generic soup I bought) and very heavy on the celery flavor. But it was edible, and Alex actually loved it. So, good for kids. But not so good for Toms who are expecting tater tot casserole with cheese on top.