4th of July Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp yellow food coloring
- 1/4 tsp red food coloring
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 1 cup finely crushed candies, almond brickle pieces, fruit-flavored candies or any crunchy candies
- Red Decorator Gel
- Assorted candies such as red cinnamon candies, fruit flavored circles or red or blue colored sugar
- Red shoestring licorice
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large mixer bowl beat sugar and shortening till fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Add flour mixture, beating until well combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and tint one third yellow, one third red and leave remaining third plain. Wrap dough and chill for about one hour.
- Roll out yellow dough on a floured surface and cut out star cookies. Roll out red dough and use knife to cut 3×1 1/5 inch rectangles for fireworks. Roll out plain dough and cut out stars and rectangles for fireworks.
- Place cookies on ungreased cooking sheets. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7-8 mins or until slightly brown around edges. Remove and cool on wire racks.
- Frost half of cookies and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of crushed candies. Frost bottom of the rest of the cookies and sandwich cookies together. Decorate cookies as pictured or desired.
From Better Homes and Gardens, July 1989