4th of July Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp yellow food coloring
- 1/4 tsp red food coloring
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 1 cup finely crushed candies, almond brickle pieces, fruit-flavored candies or any crunchy candies
- Red Decorator Gel
- Assorted candies such as red cinnamon candies, fruit flavored circles or red or blue colored sugar
- Red shoestring licorice
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large mixer bowl beat sugar and shortening till fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Add flour mixture, beating until well combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and tint one third yellow, one third red and leave remaining third plain. Wrap dough and chill for about one hour.
- Roll out yellow dough on a floured surface and cut out star cookies. Roll out red dough and use knife to cut 3×1 1/5 inch rectangles for fireworks. Roll out plain dough and cut out stars and rectangles for fireworks.
- Place cookies on ungreased cooking sheets. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7-8 mins or until slightly brown around edges. Remove and cool on wire racks.
- Frost half of cookies and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of crushed candies. Frost bottom of the rest of the cookies and sandwich cookies together. Decorate cookies as pictured or desired.
From Better Homes and Gardens, July 1989
Crushed hard candies in the cookies?!? How can you tell if the crackling noise is from the cookie or from your teeth…