Are you ready for some dinner made in the microwave?
These are microwave Pizza Joes!
- 1 lb ground beef or Italian sausage (I used ground beef)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-oz can pizza sauce
- 2 T Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 6 hard rolls or frankfurter buns
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- In glass bowl, crumble meat; add onion. Microcook, covered, till meat is brown, 5 to 6 minutes; stir several times to break up meat. Drain. Stir in pizza sauce, Parmesan, salt, fennel and garlic. Micro-cook, uncovered, till hot, about 3 minutes.
- Split rolls; divide and spoon hot filling atop bottom half of rolls. Top each with a cheese slice; cover with roll top. Place on a paper plate. ;Micro-cook uncovered, till filling is hot and cheese starts to melt, 20 to 25 seconds for one roll or 1 minute for 6 rolls.
Just to set the record straight, I was completely suspicious of this recipe. I’ve cooked ground beef in the microwave before a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, and it had a strange “microwaved” flavor that I was NOT fond of.
But for the sake of testing and science, I decided to give it another shot!
And then make Tom eat it first.
“These are really sloppy.”
“Are they good?”
“Yes, and it’s a good thing they are. I just got them all over this shirt, and if they weren’t good I would be really mad.”
The Verdict: Good
From The Tasting Notes –
Tastes like a cross between a pizza burger and a sloppy joe, basically a sloppy joe consistency with a pizza burger flavor. If that’s your thing, then you are going to love these. Surprisingly, they didn’t really have that “microwaved” flavor like I thought they would. Tom thought they tasted a bit like school lunch, so a little on the bland side. If you want to spice these up, use half or all italian sausage, hot pepper flakes or other pizza toppings stirred in like green peppers or mushrooms.